The younger generation will not understand this reference to Twilight Zone.
“Who is Rod Serling?” “Was he in Twilight?” “He’s not followed by TMZ, so he must not be anybody.”
I’m continuing to work on my daughter’s album. I have high hopes to hand it over to her when I see her, and the rest of our motley crew, in Orlando, Florida for our Family Reunion at Disney World. 19 days – *gulp*
I’m still working with DCWV Street Lace papers.
These two pages will be dedicated to the architecture of Funeral Homes. The angles, lines, and quiet elegance of the buildings which no one likes to enter unless they have business there.
What better reference of amazing architecture than butterfly and dragonfly wings.
I can’t use either of these two papers for a two page layout. The images are on the same side, not opposing sides. So I will use one of each and cut them up into squares.
I will be using the “Color Block” cutting pattern from the Club Scrap Idea Deck on these two layouts.
The base papers I’ve chosen for these two pages are pink and black with faded imagery.
Crapazoid! I didn’t plan ahead for the cutting instructions. I just loaded the paper in my trimmer and went to work. Now it looks like an IED went off and blew the butterfly and dragonfly to smithereens. 😦
I could use the other two butterfly and dragonfly pages and cut them correctly….but I’ve chosen to work with what I’ve done. Hopefully I can save this mess somehow. Besides, chances are I would do the very same thing and make things even worse!
I need letters to spell out “Architecture”. I don’t want to drag out my Cricut and set it up. You don’t want to see my room, seriously you don’t. I looked through all my pages of sticker letters…not enough of some letters. Then I remembered some paper letters I purchased way, way, way back in about 2005. These letters are made from pretty thin scrapbook paper. Each set of letters has about 150 pieces attached at one of the ends with some of that stuff like paper pads have.
Let’s see if the whole word will fit on one page. Yes!
These letters are not sticky backed. And they are made from really thin paper so I had to be careful when pulling them from the “pad” they were attached to.
The colors have got to go! They need to be one solid color. I know! How about Flocking them. I can run the letters through my Xyron, face down, to get the sticky on the front of the letter then add the Flock. Brilliant!
Put the letter face down in the Xyron 1.5 inch sticker maker.
I was so confident this was going to work that I ran all the letters through. My thinking was that the sticky from the Xyron would be enough to adhere the Flock without me having to use the Two Way glue pen.
Starting with the first letter I put it in the funnel tray, poured the Flock on top, then pressed the Flock around the entire letter.
Put it in the funnel tray and pour Flock all over the letter.
Press the Flock into the glue. Press all over the letter to make sure the Flock is applied evenly.
Crapazoid! The Flock is not fully covering the letter as I had invisioned 😦 Now what am I going to do?!
Start over. I mean, it is not like I don’t have enough of these letters. This time I’ll put the letters in face up through the Xyron.
I’ll paint them with white acrylic paint. I wonder if acrylic paint goes bad? This bottle I’ve had since 1998 when I used to paint plaster houses. Seems to still be good. At least I can hear it slushing around inside as I shake the bottle.
Looks like this is going to take two applications of paint. Let the letters fully dry before adding the second coat.
While the paint is drying on the letters I think I’ll cut some gray papers to be used as mats in the layout. Hide the blown up butterflies and dragonflies.
The really great thing about this “Color Block” layout is that you can turn it round and round until you get the effect you like. No right way and no wrong way. My kind of plan 😀
Okay, okay. Just pick one already! Sheesh!
Since I can’t decide which way I want to go, I think I’ll find a rubber stamp that looks like something that would be on a blueprint. I didn’t find anything in my stash of stamps but I did find a chemistry related image. The stamp is from Club Scrap and I don’t remember what set it was for. I won’t tell Tiffany if you don’t tell.
By stamping over the acrylic paint you get visual interest. Think about your stamps with small images. This would be ideal for those tiny flower stamps or maybe polka dots. You can add colors in the stamping to match your layout.
If you decide to use this technique, please don’t be a messy painter like I was. The acrylic paint on the Xyron paper comes right off with the letter. What an unsightly mess. You’ll have to clean around each letter before taking it off the protective paper.
Once I had the letters cleaned and cleared of excess acrylic paint I mounted them on a strip of card stock that was sort of a tan color.
I have a bad place on the layout that I seriously need to hide. While adhering the cut pieces to the base paper I put a couple of them on the wrong way.
After all of the messes I’ve created, and good ideas gone wrong, I have a two page layout that I’m happy with. A title that is seriously one of a kind and plenty of spots for Tiffany to add photos of the Funeral Homes she has taken pictures of.
I’ve used sticky foam strips to raise the title off the page to add some dimension.
Don’t give up on your idea. Work with it for a little while. Through the frustration will come inspiration 😀
Now I’m off to add tags, photo corners, and embellishments to this layout. I’ll show you the finished project when it is done.