2011 in review

The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2011 annual report for this blog.

Here’s an excerpt:

A San Francisco cable car holds 60 people. This blog was viewed about 2,900 times in 2011. If it were a cable car, it would take about 48 trips to carry that many people.

Click here to see the complete report.

A Clockwork….with some orange

A promotional clock

A promotional clock

Get it?  “A Clockwork Orange“.  What?  You don’t know what that means?  Further proof of my slide into “fogies-dom”.  Had to have been a teen during the late 60’s early 70’s to know what that is I guess.

Our friend, Tim, had asked me what other things I could make once he received all the Post-It-Note Holders I had made for him.  His mind went to business promotion items.  I didn’t help him out much by answering his question with “I can make lots of things”.  That answer is just about as good as saying nothing at all.

So I figured the best thing to do would be a mini “Show & Tell”.  Something functional for his office that may spark an idea that could be used as a reminder and Thank You to their customers.  I’m still trying to think of something that could be made for their team of drivers – like Joe and I.

The photos of the trucks are from my personal photos for my “Foolishness and Mayhem” blog.  The bottom right photo is from Dependable’s website as is their logo.  I just had a thought…..I could make clocks featuring the splendid scenery of these United States since I can’t seem to settle on photos for a calendar.  I’ve got seven of them in the works and don’t like any of them.

I needed some assistance in getting this project started.  Who better to ask than my ever knowledgeable “Scrubby” 😀  I attached the 8″x10″ photo on one side of a piece of 1/4″ board and a piece of design paper on the back.  Joe had drilled a hole in the center of the board for me before I mounted the photo and the backing paper.  Now it was to get the thing secured in the frame.

Enter my “Mr. Fix-It” and his tools 😀

First, he drilled pilot holes around the inside of the frame for the small nails that would secure everything inside.

Setting up to make pilot holes

Setting up to make pilot holes

He worked that skinny drill bit with deft precision….until it broke.

A little bit of a curve

A little bit of a curve

Oops

Oops

Pilot hole

Pilot hole

With a pair of hemostats he got hold of the bitty nail he was going to use.  These little suckers like to fly off in all directions when trying to pick one out of the box.  Then trying to put that bitty nail in the pilot hole was another trick.  So….the hemostats came to his rescue.

Setting the nail in the hole

Setting the nail in the hole

A little tapping and whacking was next.  The hemostat kept his fingers well clear of the brass head of the hammer.   Precautions against the finger whack most hammers love to do.

Tapping into place

Tapping into place

Another tool Joe has is a “Nail Set”.  This little thing has a cup on the end to hold the nail head and there is a metal end on the opposite side for whacking.

Nail set

Nail set

Setting the nail

Setting the nail

Nail set on nail head

Nail set on nail head

The nails are all set and I’m ready to take this back into my craft room and go through the “I think this will work….no it doesn’t” phase.

Nails all attached

Nails all attached

First thing was to try out some flowers.  Any of you that follow me know that I have a real problem with flowers.  I am attempting to overcome this phobia and get past this crazy fear.

Flower auditions

Flower auditions

Then was trying to figure out how to make this a promotional piece.  I must say that this was not an easy thing to do.  I scrapped that idea after fiddling for over an hour and having no success.

Trying for the promotional bit

Trying for the promotional bit

I felt the piece needed some color.  I had started off with the brilliant idea of smearing black acrylic paint all over the wood frame then artfully applying some Rub and Buff.  I got the black paint on well, but the Rub and Buff was the smearing part.  Oh well.  Not too late to change the paint color.  But I didn’t.

Orange flowers to add pop

Orange flowers to add pop

After looking at this frame from a distance and up close I determined that the whole visual thing was off balance.  I have no idea why it seems off balance, it just did.  What to do now?  Well…put more stuff on of course.

Add more stuff

Add more stuff

Once I was happy with the results of it all then it was back to my Mr. Fix-It to help me get the numbers on the face set up.  He brought out more tools for precision.  If my Joe is anything, he is an Engineer at heart and precision is everything 😀

First is to attach a piece of sticky note paper to the area where the number will be placed.

Piece of sticky note as a guide

Piece of sticky note as a guide

Next comes a “Compass” for precise placement of the number.  He’s so good and I’m really glad that he takes such care in his work.

Compass for exact placement

Compass for exact placement

Placement is key.  The number has to line up with the one directly across from it and just the right amount of space above the last number set.  He makes me smile and I can’t help but love him.

Placing the number

Placing the number

 

Placement of the double digits

Placement of the double digits

Now I have a project complete, with the aid of my husband, that I would be proud to give to someone.  Just look at that perfect circle my Joe made.  Yes, I could probably say that I made this clock all by myself and take all the adulation but it would not be the right thing to do.

A perfect circle

A perfect circle

Man we make a great team 😀  Always have 😀

Previous Older Entries