Flocking tutorial is now ready.

Flock on a stamped image

A new reader of my blog submitted this comment with a request for a tutorial.

Wow – would love to see a YouTube tutorial on your project. Love the papers, and all the pages are gorgeous. You did an EXCELLENT job with the flocking. I recently flocked a baby blanket image for a mini album, but the result was so awful I ended up not even using it. I used a wet glue and it dried uneven, lumpy, hard, and simply unpleasant. Wonder if using an adhesive like you did would have been better. Anyway, your creation looks great. Love it!

In an effort to help Linda see her baby blanket piece for her mini album take center stage I created this video.  I have tried my best to explain the process with tips about the proper glue to use and application of the flock.  The video shows how to use Flock on a stamped image.  The process is exactly the same (minus the stamping) when applied to a graphic image on design papers.

Hope this helps you out Linda, and thanks for the request.


Add the soft feel of Flock to your projects.

Flock used to enhance the designThe card stock design papers, lately, are very tactile with the embossed images with all the hills and valleys.  Glittered designs have a raised and rough texture, embossed designs have a raised and sometimes slick texture.  The light bouncing off the glitter or the clear glazes used in printing is candy to the eyes.  Now you can add a raised and oh so soft texture with Flock.

I have a set of one ounce bottles of different colored Flock from Doodlebug Designs.  I’ve purchased this set from Hobby Lobby.  The price is a bit steep but Hobby Lobby has a general couple for 40% off to help defray the cost.

Doodlebug Designs Flock assortmentThese vials are used the same as you do embossing powder.  The difference is you use a liquid glue to attach the Flock.  I’m using a Zig 2-Way Glue Pen.

Zig 2-Way Glue PenI purchased this way, way, way back in about 2003.  I don’t know if this product is still even manufactured but I would imagine it still is…or something similar.  I like this pen because the working end is just like a gel pen in application.

The working tip of the glue pen is just like a gel penAs with all other types of 2-Way Glue there are two properties of this adhesive.  In the “Wet” stage the glue is permanent.  In the “Dry” stage the glue is tacky and not super strong.  The “Dry” application would be great for masking.  Apply the 2-Way glue on a scrap piece of paper, let it dry clear, then attach the paper to your project as you would a Post-It-Note.  I’m using the “Wet” application here.

Apply the 2-Way glue and quickly add the FlockApply the Flock in the same manner you would embossing powder.  The difference in this application over embossing powder is you have to PRESS the Flock into the wet glue before tapping off the excess.  DO NOT heat set the Flock.  Just press and tap off.

One ounce bottle of Flock

Apply the Flock over the wet glue then press to set in the glue

Tap off the excess Flock into a tray

Work in small areas at a time.  This will ensure the 2-Way glue remains wet to accept the Flock better.

Work in small areas at a time to keep the 2-Way glue wet

Clean up is the same as with embossing powder.  Get the remaining Flock back into the bottle.  You don’t need to have one of these funnel trays.  A sheet of notebook paper, copy paper, or card stock will do.  Work over the paper as you add the Flock or embossing powder, tap the excess off onto the paper of your choice, then use the paper to return the excess back to the bottle.  Cheap and just as effective as having the funnel tray which can cost $5.

Return the tapped off contents to the jarThis piece of Tiffany’s album is a folio of sorts.  There are two pockets inside the folio for photos and journaling.  I’ve added a couple pieces of the DCWV Street Lace paper to the pocket flaps.

Mini folor with two pocketsThis folio fits into the pocket of the inside of the second piece to this project I’ve got all wonky.

Pocket for the folio in the center of the mini

The Flock adds dimension, texture, and pizazz to the folio piece as it peeks out of the center pocket.  The Flock just begs to be touched and caressed 😀

The Flock peeks out from the pocket holding the folioThis is only one example of the use of Flock to your projects.  With the assortment of colors available in a package you can add texture and touchy feely softness to a card front.  I think I may have to use the Flock on some of the flowers in this paper 😀

Have fun in your crafting.  You get to be the first to caress the softness of the Flock on your projects long before you give it away to someone else to put their hands on 😀


Previous Older Entries