My Mastectomy. Breast Cancer journey almost over.

Are you facing treatment for Breast Cancer?  Have you been filled with horror stories about what is ahead for you?

Chemotherapy or radiation therapy?  There are frightening stories of people constantly vomiting and being severely nauseous from the Chemo.  Humiliated and discouraged over the loss of head hair.  Having no strength or stamina to take care of normal everyday duties.  Fatigue that is constant and debilitating.  The kind which you can’t get out of bed except to go to the bathroom and that is difficult in and of itself.

I don’t have any experience with the radiation therapy, as of yet.  So I can’t speak to that treatment.

If I had to recommend a place to be treated for breast cancer, it would be OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  The OU Physician Center, Stephenson Cancer Center, OU Surgical Center, OU Medical Center, and Stephenson Infusion Center have the most caring staff I have ever dealt with.

From my experience, my attitude had everything to do with the low amount of side effects I had with all of my treatments, from the initial diagnosis.  Pain was at a low level and was tolerable.  That is until my last rounds of Chemo when I was switched to a different type.  My breast cancer was a temporary medical problem. The end result was always going to be a mastectomy.

Look, to be honest, the process is a bit scary.  What are the doctors and nurses going to be doing to me?!  Does my boob get whacked off today?  When does the Chemo come in?

You can do tons of research on the internet about breast cancer and the treatments of it.  Every person is different, and every cancer diagnosis is different.  Treatment protocols are different depending on the cancer Stage and type.

Let me tell you!  There are many different types of breast cancer.  I thought there was just one…breast cancer.  Check out this page from “Types of Breast Cancer.

Some people have an attitude that “This is only temporary and won’t rule my life forever”, while others are totally freaked out by the diagnosis and have an attitude that is, more or less, “Poor me.  My looks are going to be ruined and no one will ever love me again!”

Some people have a very low tolerance for pain.  The growing cancer tumor in the breast would, possibly, be extremely painful to some.  For me, it was a sporadic slight burning sensation that lasted from one to two seconds in the beginning.  Later, as it grew the burning pain would last longer even though it was still sporadic – not a constant pain.  Up to 10 seconds.  It was very uncomfortable.  Not so uncomfortable that it stopped me doing my  normal daily activities or interfered with my truck driving job.

I had my first breast biopsy on June 27, 2016.  Ultrasound guided breast biopsy is what I had.  I had several of this type of biopsy done before Chemo started.  I was given a local anesthetic for each biopsy to lessen the pain caused by the steel needle injected into the breast and directly into the cancerous tumor.  Three core samples were taken with each biopsy.  The next day my breast would be painful and I would need a pain pill – two at the most for the week.

I had a PET Scan on July 22, 2016.  This scan was from my head to about mid thigh to see if my breast cancer had spread to other parts of my body.  Being a 40 year pack a day smoker the scan would spend quite a bit of time on my head and chest area before going down to the lower extremities of my body.  My head and chest were clear of any worrisome markers.  My stomach had a spot that needed to be checked, there was a questionable spot on top of one of my kidneys, and there was a dark black spot on my right hip bone that would need to be checked.

On August 8, 2016 I had a Bone Biopsy of my right hip joint.  Each of these radio-logical procedures were a bit frightening to me.  I had not had prior experience with any of these giant machines and didn’t know what to expect.  Having a bit of claustrophobia I was more terrified of being stuck in a tight tube than I was of the procedures.  The results of the hip bone biopsy were negative…no cancer in the hip.

On August 11, 2016 I had a Stomach Scope to check the dark spot shown in the PET Scan.  Turns out I had a bit of an ulcer which was treated with a course of antibiotics.  No cancer in my stomach.

On August 19, 2016 I had another breast biopsy and my first round of Faslodex shots to stop the growth of my cancer.  My cancer tumor was continuing to grow, causing the underside of my left breast to be swollen and purple.  My type of breast cancer was hormone related.  Meaning that this cancer fed off of estrogen in my body, and sugars from my liver.  The Faslodex would inhibit estrogen from being made in my body.

On September 2, 2016 I had my second round of Faslodex.  Turns out this treatment was not as effective as my doctors had hoped it would be.

I had another breast biopsy on September 24, 2016 to see how much growth the tumor continued to have.  It was growing quite a bit and was very uncomfortable.  On September 26, 2016 my Oncologist, Dr. Sobia Nabeel,  decided that I would be put on a Chemo regimen.  That would be determined after I had a Heart Scan.  This scan would let my Oncologist know if my heart was healthy enough for the rigors of Chemotherapy.

On October 7, 2016 I had a surgical procedure to install a Chemo Port in my right upper chest.  This was done as an outpatient procedure.  It was quite uncomfortable for a few days after it was placed under my skin.  I had some difficulty sleeping on my right side with the port being in the way of my comfort.

Chemo Port implant

Chemo Port implant

October 12, 2016 began my Chemotherapy treatments of DoxirubicinYou can read my blog post about that here.  November 1, 2016 I was admitted to the hospital for a Urinary Tract Infection that had gone septic.  I spent November 1 to 6 in the hospital under very good care.  The fluids they pumped into me caused my body to swell until I thought I was going to POP!  October 26, 2016 was my second round of the Red Devil – Doxirubicin that lead to the UTI and subsequent hospital stay.

Just so I know that they have the "Big Guns" going...I guess

Just so I know that they have the “Big Guns” going…I guess

December 23, 2016 my chemo drug was changed from Doxirubicin to Paclitaxel or Taxol.  My last Taxol treatment was on January 23, 2016.  This Paclitaxel or Taxol as the nurses called it, was supposed to be not as bad as the Doxirubicin.  I had not had any bad side effects with the Doxirubicin, other than losing my hair.  So in my way of thinking the Taxol was going to be a breeze.  Uhm, not quite.  I had a lot of bone pain with the Taxol.  I swear, there was someone in the Stephenson Cancer Center that had a voodoo doll made just for me.  That person had one job and that job was to jab a pin in the doll at any place they wanted and for how long they wanted.

The pains from the Taxol were sharp, intense, and lasted no longer than 10 seconds.  That 10 seconds was quite exciting!  The little bone at your outside ankle, know where I’m speaking of?  That was one place that would be frequently hit by the sharp, intense, pain.  Within minutes after the ankle, between by ear lobe and jaw bone the next pain would show up.  That one brought me up in my seat or stopped me from moving.  A few minutes later my left mid thigh bone – femur I think it is called – would have the sharp and intense pain.  Not quite as bad as Liam Neeson had done in the movie Taken.  Just in the same general area.

After that last chemo treatment my doctor visits began to slow down.  I have not had any further breast biopsies.  I did have a Mammogram of both breasts on January 24, 2016 to see if the cancer was still growing or if the chemo drugs had done their job.  The radiologist came to me after the procedure was finished to say, had there not been a marker placed in my breast during the first biopsy she would not have known that I even had a cancerous tumor.  There was nothing there.

Although the Chemotherapy was rough on my body….tired all the time, extremely low energy levels, not being able to keep up with daily household chores, and being knocked down and out if I overdid some housework.  Which means if I spent longer than 10 minutes on housekeeping duties for the entire day then I was whacked for that day and into the next.  I did not have a lot of trouble with the Chemotherapy.

The next part of my cancer treatment was to have the Mastectomy.  When a breast gets lopped off, how does the surgeon put skin back over the wound?  That is the question I asked my surgeon’s nurse.  She had to hide a giggle at my question to remain professional.  🙂

The procedure is not what I had envisioned.  My surgeon, Dr. William Dooley  has been so good at explaining everything to me.  He has a tall cart with a laptop.  He types stuff as we talk about my tumor growth, the Chemotherapy, the biopsies, why I have the same shot of pain in the exact same area of my right breast as I have with the cancerous left breast.  Per Dr. Dooley, the nerves coming from the spinal column at my breast height connects the two breasts together.  What one feels the other does as well.

On the day of my Mastectomy he took a bit more time to let me know what he was going to do.  He was going to cut all the way,  horizontally, across my left breast to near my arm pit.  The skin was going to be rolled upward to my collar bone and the lower skin was going to be rolled down to my ribs.  Dr. Dooley would then remove all the of the breast tissue, go down into the muscles to take some of them away, and then go into my arm pit area to remove the lymph nodes both Dr. Nabeel and Dr. Dooley found to have cancer in them.

This whole procedure was done in an Outpatient Surgery Center.  Once I came out of the Recovery Room without any problems I was taken to a monitoring area while the drugs were further wearing off and I was no longer talking gibberish.  Joe was waiting for me when I arrived.  About 30 to 45 minutes later I was discharged and sent home.  I was home at a little after 1:00 p.m.  Surgery was at 8:15 a.m., we were told to arrive at 6:30 a.m. for all the prep needed before the surgery.  So all tolled it was 6 1/2  hours then home.

My left breast is sunken in the center.  I have two drains, one comes from way up in my arm pit and the other comes from the surgical area.


Image result for mastectomy drains

Photo courtesy of Susan G. Komen Mastectomy The Procedure.

I have to drain the bulbs three times a day and record the amount of fluid removed from each bulb.  Joe is really good at doing this for/with me.

I have the most comfortable bra on…yes you read that correctly!  It has two pockets that hang down from the bra.  The pockets are to hold the drain bulbs.  Why, oh why, did it take having a mastectomy to find a bra that fit well?!

Image result for mastectomy drains and bras

Photo courtesy of Surgery Supplements.

Dr. Dooley told me I would have “muscle spasms” that would burn.  Let me tell you, he got the burn part right but I don’t know if it is muscle spasms or not.  At my arm pit I will get one (excuse me) hellacious burning sensation that lasts about 15 seconds.  Typical example is a burn from the hot oven when your arm touches the oven rack.  That kind of a burn sensation!

I have read in the literature supplied to me that it will be several WEEKS of recuperating from this major surgery.  I am not to life anything that weighs more than a gallon of milk – about 8 pounds.  No strenuous activity.  Lots of rest.

I do some of the cooking.  Joe has done a bit of it as well.  He asks if I need help, or he will ask if he can help me.  He doesn’t make a nuisance of himself asking me that question frequently.  I get really testy and nasty if he does that.

As far as actual “PAIN” goes.  I’ve had a C-Section and that pain is bad enough to make your ears ring and you cry for days.  I don’t have that kind of pain with this mastectomy.  The reason I think is because with a C-Section your stomach muscles are used to sit up, stand up, walk, bend over, reach for things, and just general all around use of the muscles.  The chest muscles are not used so much as the stomach.  Thus, almost no pain.  That is until I press on or near the surgery site.  YIKES!  OUCHY, OUCHY, OUCHY!

All in all, I am doing well.  This seven month journey has not been all bad.  I have been blessed with professional help all along the way.  Doctors, nurses, reception staff, and all the other support staff in the Infusion Centers, Oncologist and Surgeon office, medical testing areas – radiological testing and procedures.

All this to say that I am doing well and nearing the end of my breast cancer treatment.  Although everything that has happened and been done in this treatment regimen has not been terribly bad….I don’t want to go through this again that is for sure.

Well that is my refresher on events and a current update.  This has been three days in the making and it is now finished.  Blah blah blah I know.



18 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. veeccee
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 12:23:03

    Leslie, you are amazing without any doubt. Why? Because I have never met nor heard anyone able to share their medical journey with cancer as a companion as well as you.
    You are not seeking pity, or sadness etc. etc. etc. you seem to be practical, down to earth and honest in all things and statements. You explain your feelings and experiences with a finesse worthy of any celebrated author.
    Have you considered making your journey into a book? This is something that could be shared with so many who are starting on a similar journey.
    Hats off in respect to you, your strength/power and willingness to share such a personal tale.
    May you continue to be blessed with strength, family, friends and improved health.
    With love and prayers from the UK


    • Message In A Fold
      Feb 22, 2017 @ 09:36:23

      Veronica, thank you for your wonderful comment left on my blog post. I had not thought of writing a book about my breast cancer journey as you have so brightly suggested. In fact, I had not intended my ramblings to be a teaching opportunity. I was just making an attempt to explain why I had abandoned my blog for so many months.

      Please, if I have made you feel as though your compliment to me has been brushed off then I am deeply sorry for that misunderstanding. I am in no way brushing off your praise in any manner. Were I able, I would knock on your door and give you a giant hug. Since you are across the pond a little ways I will have to be satisfied with sending my hug from here.
      HUGS – Leslie


  2. Jesska
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 12:56:20

    Great to hear from you again 🙂
    It all sounds horrendous, but you sound like you’re doing well (and a whole lot braver than me – all that pain!!! :()
    Here’s to a speedy recovery – and to a pain-free future (except the good kind of ‘warning-pain’)


    • Message In A Fold
      Feb 22, 2017 @ 09:29:54

      Thank you Jesska. I appreciate you taking the time stop by my blog and leave your bit of love for me in your words that were akin to a quick squeezy hug. 🙂
      Hugs to you – Leslie


  3. Mary Farrington
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 13:21:28

    Leslie – GREAT blog post… I love it… Keeping you in my prayers… wonder who’s hair will come in first? LOL


    • Message In A Fold
      Feb 22, 2017 @ 09:28:28

      Thank you Mary. I am so stoked to find out your husband is home from the hospital after that terrible heart scare he and you just had. Plus the fact that there was not one single bed in any of the local hospitals to keep him. As if you didn’t have enough to deal with. Yikes! I’m glad he has been prescribed the proper medicine for his heart condition.

      Now maybe your young children can take a breath knowing their Mom and Dad are both back home and life is sort of back to normal.

      Love you – Leslie


  4. Sylvia Smith
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 13:42:12

    Hope you have a speedy recovery.


  5. Toni
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 15:13:34

    Leslie, love this post. It covered a few things that I wasn’t quite clear on. Passed it on so that others facing the journey will be given hope and will grab onto that positive outlook of yours and your upbeat attitude. I know it has sure helped me several times over the last few months with Lance’s situation. I thank you for your prayers and thoughts. I’m so glad you are doing so much better and are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Love you girlfriend.


    • Message In A Fold
      Feb 22, 2017 @ 09:25:19

      Toni, how you keep one foot in front of the other these days I don’t know. Your major surgery, your husbands severe health issues right now, your son’s terminal brain cancer, and your daughter in law who is trying to keep it all together as well. I am in AWE of you and what you are doing on a daily basis.

      Toni, thank you for the love and support you have shown me these past several months, all while you are going through your own trials. I appreciate you so very much and want you to know that YOU ARE MY HERO!!

      Love you – Leslie


  6. pearl
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 19:38:18

    well Leslie. we are so glad your breast cancer journey has come to an end. you have managed it so well in my opinion. when i first knew of your tumor and how big it was i was very scared for you and sad that i might lose another friend . you have had excellent care and you showed your thanks by making everyone those lovely gifts so they knew you appreciated them. you are a wonderful, positive lady who is blessed with a wonderful , loving husband. Joe has been wonderful throughout this journey and you survived it together. make sure you get that rest that is needed for your recovery. lots of love and hugs. from down under. xxxxxxxx


    • Message In A Fold
      Feb 22, 2017 @ 09:21:44

      Pearl, you have made my eyes leak this morning. Your loving words left on my blog post are akin to the best warm squeezy hug EVER all the way from down under.

      I have been blessed with your friendship, something I had never imagined in a million years having. I may not seem to appreciate you of late, but I do so very much. My wonderful Bionic Friend, I love you to pieces.

      Love you – Leslie


  7. Judy thacker
    Feb 16, 2017 @ 10:48:59

    So glad u are home and healing. I guess I’ll keep my long hair 😀 .your hubby sounds like mine ! We love u and am wishing you a speedy recovery. 🐺😚 i am going to make your aluminum tape snowflakes today. Such a ” cool” idea !! Keep smiling.


    • Message In A Fold
      Feb 22, 2017 @ 09:07:24

      Judy, thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your fun comment. YES, don’t get too hasty with your long hair. 😀 Besides, the next thing you will have to deal with is your husband’s heart attack upon seeing his beautiful wife’s bald head. We don’t want that now do we?!

      I hope your time spent making snowflakes with the aluminum tape was enjoyable and fruitful! Or maybe a bit flakey 😀 I like that better LOL

      Hugs – Leslie


  8. Dahlene
    Feb 18, 2017 @ 16:34:01

    Leslie, thank you for being so honest with your journey and I’m am so glad you are doing so much better, keep it up! I had a scare this last week when I found a lump in my breast and they sent me to get the ultrasound and mammography. Luckily for me it was an old implant that had ruptured and that is what the dr and I were feeling. This week it is onto a general surgeon then I’m sure onto a plastic surgeon to get them removed and not replaced. My mother died at the age of 60 of beat cancer and a virus that hit her heart, I’m turning 60 in a couple of months and I have been vigilant about checking my breasts. I was lucky this week but hearing your story I know that if it does happen I will be more prepared. Thank you!


    • Message In A Fold
      Feb 22, 2017 @ 09:04:26

      Yikes! Ruptured implant, that sounds awful! Maybe you didn’t even feel it, that would be a good thing. Either way, I am so glad that was all that was in your breast and not the cancer monster. :-/

      I am so very sorry for your great loss. Losing your Mother to a heart virus after she fought so hard and long through her breast cancer. Bless your heart.

      Dahlene, thank you for your kind words to me. What started out as a “heads up” to my YouTube subscribers that I would not be making many videos and would more than likely disappear from the scene for quite some time because of my breast cancer, morphed into a life of its own. I appreciate knowing that you feel a bit less scared of breast cancer after watching my videos. That was not something I had intended to happen but it did. So thank you very much.

      Stay well and bless you.


  9. Roxanne
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 16:30:52

    So glad to hear you were going through and conquering this thing called cancer. You are a strong strong lady prayers are with you and your family and I wish only the best for you and a speedy recovery and everything you do. One of my young daughters has gone through the same thing with breast cancer last year. She is coming through it like you as a trooper and fighting it all the way you are survivors


    • Message In A Fold
      May 08, 2017 @ 07:08:34

      Roxanne! I didn’t see this comment from March 30! 😦 Oh Nooooooo!

      YAY! I’m very glad to read that your daughter has gone through her cancer treatments “like a trooper”. Chemo is a nasty bugger and some people have violent reactions to it. Thank the Lord we have been spared that.

      Your daughter is an inspiration to those around her, including you, so take heart in her “Surviving Her Battle” and helping others along the way. I’m very proud of the both of you.

      GIANT HUGS – Leslie


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: