Today is the day the video is up on my YouTube channel showing the process of altering these glass ornaments.
I used a couple of Sizzix dies – Flourishes and Snowflakes – with my metal duct tape from the hardware store. The first six I left clear. The bottom six I used Ranger Industries Alcohol Inks in the colors of Current, Stream, and Butterscotch.
The first three are Current on the left, Stream in the center, and Butterscotch on the right. The bottom left one is a remix of the colors on the same felt pad and it turned a little brown. I like that one. For the final two I used a new felt pad to finish them off.
This flourish was a real bugger to work with. So many intricate swirls and curves. This one was way too fiddly for me. By the time I adhered the second one of this flourish die cut from the metal duct tape….I was so over this whole entire project. I had to get encouragement from my daughter with the twins to keep going and see it through to the end.
The Snowflake dies were the easiest to cut out, take apart, and adhere. I did have a few problems with them but nothing like the really intricate flourish.
The less intricate flourish dies were really great to work with.
This project took me over two days to complete. I have the attention span of a gnat and a shorter patience span than that. Altering Christmas clear glass balls will NOT be on my list of must do decorating again.
My daughter with the twins suggested that I make a whole bunch of these and sell them at a craft fair. My answer to her was “Not just NO, but H*&L NO!” I’ll leave that job to someone that enjoys fiddly things. The other nuisance was having to use the hot glue gun for the ribbon around the neck and the fork bow on each of the balls.
I do get to have the pride and privilege of saying “I made these” and there will never be anymore like them. Someone else may take a stab at creating these for themselves but they won’t be the same as mine are.