I have heard that “black hides many faults” and this time it came in so handy for me. Although I am thrilled with the success I finally had in making BOX #3…..it is far from being square, plum, or even.
I’ve seen many videos of people painting only part way on a project. Me….being a “perfectionist”…..I couldn’t see the reasoning behind the messy paint job that gave me the willies each time I see it happen. NOW I so appreciate the bad paint job 😀
The paint I used is by Master’s Touch and I purchased it from Hobby Lobby in the aisle for serious painters. This is an acrylic paint that is very thick. I mean THICK. I had to cut it with water to make it more like the little bottles by Plaid or Folk Art. Let me tell you folks. This paint STINKS!!!
This paint has a very strong odor. Unlike anything I’ve ever smelled before. It has a fairly long “open” time…which just means that it dries SLOWLY! Even in a thin application. It is tacky for many HOURS after it has been painted. In fact, I had to leave it dry overnight before I got to the measuring part of this project.
I had to measure each side…inside and out….on this box – and the lid. There are no two sides that are totally equal in measurement. You can see this by the left and right sides of the outside of the box. I had to hunt for my little pad of Post-It-Notes to keep track of each measurement. I took the full measurement of the side to be covered then subtracted 1/4 inch from the measurements.
Once I had all the measurements of each stinkin’ surface. Inside and out. I had to make a decision which paper I would use. I chose DCWV’s Mariposa Collection. I really like the butterfly images on this paper. And the swirly bits are my favorite as well.
I chose this paper for the right and left sides of the box. The butterflies on the top and bottom of the page are brightly colored and the swirly bits would look great along the bottom of the box.
With the aid of my favorite paper trimmer, the Tonic Studios Guillotine trimmer, I cut the paper for the right and left sides of the box. Using the bottom set of measurements on the box sides for my cutting guide.
I have used the second sheet of this paper on some other project and had to find something in the paper stack for the top and bottom of the box.
I haven’t glue these papers on yet. This is just the “test fit” stage. Once that part was finished I had to work on the inside of the box and the inside of the lid. The papers are from the same DCWV Mariposa Collection. I had only one sheet of each of these papers.
Once I got all the papers glued to the box I was pretty pleased with the results. I have a slew of little Post-It-Notes strewn around 😀
This box will now sit for a day or two to allow that acrylic paint to fully cure and the glue I used to attach the paper to fully dry. I test fitted the lid to the box and ended up with a sticky situation. I had to work at prying the lid off the box and checking for damage done in my haste.
Now I’m contemplating if I need to add some rhinestones, flat backed pearls, and some lace to the box and lid. I’m torn between leaving it as it is or blinging it up.
As you can see. The black paint applied in such a messy fashion has “framed” the papers well.
One other thing. This paper has a white back to it. It is not double sided decorative paper. After cutting the pieces I had to use some Tim Holtz Walnut Stain Distress Ink to the edges of the paper to hide the white edge.
I can add “Illusionist” to my many talents 😀 Well…..maybe not.