Joe and I have been playing “tag” in the creation of Maureen’s gift. His job is to make me look good 😉 This piece is quite heavy and he is making sure that it won’t come from together and crash on Maureen’s feet….or whatever might be below it once it gets hung on the wall.
Starting with the Glazier Points and Joe’s hammer precision. The blog post I’ve linked to (Glazier Points) has good photos of what the glazier points look like and how to install them. These are mainly used to hold glass panes in windowed doors. Caulk or a putty is then spread around the glass seated in the frame to ward off winds and rain from getting in. These points are extremely useful when re-purposing a picture frame.
While this project was in Joe’s excellent care I had to take care of a minor problem I had made for myself with my Stampin’ Up! – recently unmounted stamps. The system I had with the plastic bits attached to photocopier paper was not working well. The paper was too floppy and the notebook was getting too unwieldy to handle. A trip to Michaels had been made earlier in the day. I purchased some Translucent Archival bags.
I thought these would be with the card making items but they were not. I had to hunt around the store to find these. They were located in the section of Michaels that has all the paper bags and tissue papers for parties. I picked up two different sizes. These were around $4 each and work great for me.
Once home I cut the plastic bit away from the copy paper, trimmed around the plastic bit and put it in one of the archival bags.
Good thing I don’t have a gazillion stamps to do this with. Man, I can make more work for myself than anyone else!
The plastic bit and the rubber stamp(s) will be stored in a bag.
With the sleeve I feel confident I won’t be losing the stamps as they come loose from the plastic bit.
I’m not going to be changing the notation in my reference binder. I’ll save that task for another time when I figure out a good location for these stamps to be in. I do have several empty drawers now that I’ve removed all those bulky boxes.
While at Michaels I picked up some Tim Holtz Fragment Charms.
I laid several of these pieces strategically on the Mariposa papers. When I found a selection I liked I adhered the Fragment to the paper using Glossy Accents. I left them to dry overnight and cut around them when dry. I had to use a nail file to clean up the stray paper edges to make them cleaner to look at.
The hole in the charm is there to string ribbon or chain through. It was Joe’s ingenious idea to poke the thumb tack through the hole. That’s why I keep him around 😀
I used a dab of hot glue at the hole then pushed the tack through the paper to secure the charm and the tack.
For ease of storage and shipping I have pushed the thumb tacks through a scrap of foam core board. Joe came to my rescue once again!
Realizing that Maureen may want to hang some of her cards, tags, or other creations on this board without poking holes in them I found some black Velcro dots amongst my sewing stuff. Using a dab of fabric glue I attached the hook part of the “Hook and Loop” piece to the ribbon on the board.
I attached the Velcro Loop piece to some colorful and decorative binder clips. Wiping the round piece with alcohol first before attaching the Velcro to make sure it would adhere well.
There are five Velcro dots placed on the front. All she will need do is stick the binder clip to the Velcro hook piece and then display her item 😀
I’m hoping this will work well for her. Photos of her family that she wants to display can be held in place and changed out with no damage to the photo.
Before I could actually do the part above Joe had this project back in his hands. He has some industrial strength 5 Minute Epoxy made by Devcon. He also has some fantastic mixing tubes and a gun to go with the epoxy.
The guy at Lowe’s had cut the wood a bit wonky when we had the pieces cut last year. There is quite a gap in one corner that needed to be strengthened and Joe is the resident genius in matters of making things happen 😀
The mixing tubes are great. As he squeezes the gun part the plunger part in the tube pushes the epoxy mixtures through the tube. The auger type thing inside the tube blends the two components as they travel out the nozzle. How many more times can I say “tube”?
Joe does a test run to make sure the stuff is mixing well and not clogging.
He is able to control the amount of epoxy applied to this project. Once this stuff sets it is permanent. Structurally he has strengthened the frame and secured the pieces in there good. Thank you my Sweetie Pie 😀
I put brown paper on the back of the piece using hot glue. This gives it a more finished appearance and will keep the black acrylic paint from rubbing off on her walls. Can’t have that happen!
I’ve added flowers, cording, die cut butterflies, and feathers .
Two of the corners have been worked over with hot glue and stuff.
Flowers, feathers, cording, and some die cut butterflies.
Die cut butterflies have been attached to the cut cord ends. This project is now complete and ready to be shipped off. Joe and I have been waffling between driving down to personally deliver this and hang it for her or if we should just ship it and let her wrestle with it.
Now it is back to the rubber stamp cataloging project.