Long title for this one 🙂
Katie came over yesterday to work on her Mother’s Day project more. She brought her store of crayons and markers to do the background work.
Quite a few of the markers had dried up and the crayons weren’t putting down as much color as she had wanted.
She had a pen with some blue/aqua ink that she tried out and seemed to work fairly well.
During her background working she and I discussed how these were going to be finally displayed. Hang on the wall or have a stand put on the back for sitting on a shelf.
I watched Katie struggle with her background work using the crayons and markers. Then I remembered I had a bin of acrylic paint bottles.
She found a paint brush in her crayon stash so she was thrilled that the work was going faster. I had to hunt around for one of my finer paint brushes so she could get around the hearts and under the flowers with the paint. She found using the smaller brush more to her liking and used that for most of the painting.
Questions arose about paint “What color do you get if you mix….” and she did a small bit of experimenting to get her questions answered.
It was finally decided that her works of art would be hung from the walls.
Choices, so many choices. She and I went into my room and examined my store of ribbon. She chose several colors.
Listening to her as she held a ribbon to her creation was very enlightening. This girl will be one of those that can see the different hues in a color. She put a length of ribbon next to her piece of art and then went on to say things like…”This blue is not the right kind of blue, it needs a bit more green in it to work here.”
My brain is going “What?!”
So, here is the completed art work and the exceptional artist 🙂
I really love how these came out. I think Katie is also.
She went back home to get some wrapping paper. I had a “pizza box” left over from my Club Scrap days that I put her treasures in and wrapped them in tissue paper. Just as we were about to wrap them Katie remembered that photos needed to be added first. So we didn’t wrap the box. At least they are secure from prying eyes for now.
And just in case you are wondering about the white powder on my counter top. I have a small problem with tiny black ants. I’ve found that Borax is the best for chasing those buggers away and keeping them away. I got a little over zealous with the “sprinkling” and will have to tame that a bit but at least I don’t have little black ants running all over my counter tops and down into the dishwasher any longer.
The long time girlfriend of our youngest son had a birthday earlier this month. I’m so behind in my gift creating that it is no longer funny.
I found this box at Michaels for a couple dollars and liked the imagery so much that I really didn’t want to do much with it. Krasi likes to cook and has aspirations of going to Culinary school. I had to do a bit of something or it wouldn’t be from me.
Her favorite color is red so I put some ribbon along the top edge to reflect that. I dug through my flower stash and found some that were “almost” red. I added one of my newly created pins and added it behind the flower. The glass beads are red anyway. I added some small rhinestones to the top of the coffee cup to simulate steam rising. Looks more like the fizzy from a soda but what the heck.
These recipe cards were a buck a pack. Several of the recipe card imagery was on other boxes but I didn’t like the other boxes as much as I liked this one.
I do like the funny sayings on the cards. A person can get just plain old index cards but Krasi is not just any “plain old” type of person 🙂
So now just a bit of pressure of the birthday gift mess is off. My poor granddaughter, Reilee, had her birthday in the early weeks of February. I had a box nearly finished until I over did it with buttons and now I have to make her another box, which is in the stages of paper adhering and paint application.
On to the “Trash Bin Chronicles” 😦
As you can see, it fell off. This was yesterday morning.
Only one of the velcro bits was still attached to the ribbon. The rest are still attached to its mate under the table.
I think there is more thought to put into this project than I had first conjured up.
Maybe sewing them on to the ribbon will keep them on and keep them stuck where they are placed.
That adhesive on the back of the velcro is some sticky stuff. I had to clean my needle with alcohol after the final stitching was done to get that sticky stuff off of my fingers and the needle.
As you can see, the velcro mates are still attached to the underside of my table.
A conversation with Joe this morning on the phone answered my questions of why this wasn’t working. Overnight, according to Joe, the “fingers” let go which causes the velcro to fail.
When I went to my room this morning to see if my sewing fixed the problem and I found the bin on the floor once more. I guess I’ll have to attach the velcro dots to the back side of the ribbon and move the mates to the top of my table or to the side edge. According to Joe, the velcro fastener needs to “pull” at itself in order to work right.
So….back to the drawing board. Maybe I’ll just put a bunch of tape across the two straps under my table and see if that works.